- 03-Feb-2017 to 04-Apr-2017 (EST)
- Hartville, OH, USA
Stark County Park District is currently seeking two paid Wildlife Rehabilitation interns to further their education and experience at our Wildlife Conservation Center. If you're passionate about wildlife animals big and small and wish to gain some hands on experience in animal care, we're the place for you!
- Gain a working knowledge of Ohio's native wildlife, human/wildlife conflicts, non-lethal solutions, and state and federal regulations governing wildlife rehabilitation.
- With close supervision' learn species specific diets, wound management, supportive care, caging criteria, handling techniques, animal enrichment, release criteria, and other skills relating to wildlife rehabilitation.
- Student will be assigned specific responsibilities such as infant formula and weaning diet preparations, management of mealworm colonies, enrichments and necropsies.
- Students will also be responsible for completing a project, Featured Case feature the life of a native wild animal from the time it has come into the center to the time it is released. This feature will be displayed on our website andor face book for public viewing.
- Gain valuable customer service, communication, listening and leadership skills.
- Encounter moderate to frequent exposure to insects, poisonous vegetation, zoonotic diseases and moderate exposure to outside weather conditions throughout the year.
- Upperclassman in field of biology, pre-vet, zoology, conservation, or equivalent field(s)
- Effective organizational skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- GPA of 3.00 or higher preferred
Some (3-6 months minimum) wildlife rehabilitation, or veterinary experience, or related field required. Ohio state certification in Wildlife Rehabilitation I preferred, not required.
26 hours a week for duration of 14 weeks, May 11, 2017 through August 16, 2017. Ability to work a pre-determined hours and days of the week and a varied schedule. Weekend work is required. Typical scheduled shifts are 8:00a.m. 2:00p.m. and 2:00p.m. 8:00p.m. but may vary with advance notice.
Must be eligible for employment in the United States. Pre-employment background check and drug screening will be performed.
EOE - M/F/D/V